friendship / jobs / inclusive living leadership development
Best Buddies Nigeria was established in December 2018 and it’s an accredited program of Best Buddies International, thus we share its Vision and Mission statement. We are an integral part of the global inclusion movement.
Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. It consists of volunteers that create opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). The program’s main purpose is to allow volunteers to be paired up with a buddy with an intellectual and developmental disability and provide them with a friend or a mentor. Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
However, the practical realities of our nation and the unique experience of our socio-economic sphere, creates the need to implement the same message, but adapting to local realities.
After our establishment in 2018, we have the laser focused goal to achieve the following;
- Establish a volunteer movement which promotes and creates effective friendships among IDD and non-IDD peers;
- Raise public awareness of and sensitivity to the challenges and skills of people with intellectual difficulties, starting from early school age.
- Take the inclusion drive to all the 36 states of the federal republic of NIGERIA
- Establish a minimum of 5 local chapters in every state in the nation
- Support the social integration of IDD individuals and enhance their personal achievement by strengthening their social links with peers, ensuring their active involvement in public life, promoting leadership development, improving their self-expression and self-advocacy skills and helping them engage in integrated employment;